Friday, April 13, 2007

The First time

"Have you gone mad? Its 12'o clock and now u want to eat breakfast ?? " Shyam asked.

"Yup" , I replied."We go to Gurunath, eat something there and THEN we proceed to mess for lunch. "

" I don't want to eat anything at Gurunath." He said.

As we entered boundary of Gurunath, I saw a lady sitting there.

"Who is she?" I asked.

"Saw her in the line for Phd registration yesterday." He replied.

I bought a GOODDAY biscuit packet and a coffee and went to one of the tables. I strategically chose the table such that it was close the one in which she was sitting.
Her mobile rang. She picked it up and started talking.

"OH MY GOD!!" I said.

"What is it?" He asked.

"She's talking in Gujarati. Aha. Now... I have a chance. I yam going to go and talk to her." I said.

"If u get beaten up, then remember that i am not with you." He said.

Gathering all the guts that I got up and walked towards her table. I felt something strange in my stomach and remembered that i was hungry. She looked up and saw me walking towards her. I sat in front of her and said "Are you a gujju?"

"Yes." (Aha ... my pickup line worked.. now i need to steer the conversation slowly and get her number )

"Which place ?"

"Ahmedabad."

"What a coincidence. I also happen to be from ahmedabad." (Yes!!!)

"Which college?"

"I finished my Mtech from L.D. Joining here for Ph.d. What about you?"

"I did my B.tech from Nirma."

"Oh!! Nirma..." (She's going to say something)

"Then you must be knowing my husband."

"H-H-Hus-HUSBAND????" I stammered.

"He was a lecturer there in the civil engineering dept."

"How do u find chennai? It must be difficult for you." (one last try!!)

"I have been living here for the past two years. My husband shifted here two years back."

"See you around." I said.

Cursing my extremely Bad luck(and her husband) i returned back to my table.

"Good that you did not get beaten up. What happened?" Shyam asked.

"Forget it. Lets go for lunch."

No comments: